Wednesday, April 06, 2005

My Current Class: "Tech Tips"


Right now we are doing a two-week class called "Tech-Tips." We're learning all sorts of stuff about the kind of electrical systems we will be using overseas. We have a "lab" every afternoon where we have been constructing tools that will be very useful to us in a tribe. The wiring and power-supply for my house (in a tribe) will be very different from what we use here. I will have good solar panels that will charge a group of "gel-batteries." That will power my "appliances" (computer, refridgerator, lights, etc), which use a LOT LESS energy than our appliances here in the States, because they will use DC volts (Direct Current) instead of AC volts...yeah, I know, "enough of this terminology." Well, this week, we are learning how to use all this stuff! This is a picture of our lab from yesterday where we made "nightlights" that barely use any electricity to run all night, so they will be great in our house in the tribe. Cool huh! These two weeks are "practical skills" weeks and we're learning stuff that will help us to "survive" in the jungle. It's a lot of work, but exciting stuff! By God's grace, one day I'll be fastening that nightlight to a wall in my house on the other side of the world.

No comments: