Monday, July 04, 2005

Camp Elkanah!! (June 26th-July 1st)


I just spent this past week up at Camp Elkanah (located near LaGrande, OR) as Camp SPEAKER for their Jr. Camp (3rd-6th grade)!!! I never would've imagined that at just 22 yrs. old I would have the awesome privilege and responsibility of spending TEN sessions (1/2 hour each) with a group of 75 kids, challenging them with truth from God's word. What a thrill!! Back in April when God set it up for me to come to Camp Elkanah, I never would've expected all the wonderful experiences and challenges I would encounter at the end of my 21st year (that's right, I got to spend my birthday up at Camp!). This past week was probably one of the toughest challenges I've ever faced, as I often felt inadequate to be the one standing up front. But God continued to remind me of the very passage that I was sharing from with the kids all week:

Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."
Day-by-day He reminded me to trust Him just as always and to look to Him to be my strength and sufficiency. Though it had its challenges, this past week was also one of the most exciting experiences of my life!

"So what made this such a great experience??" Without a doubt, I'd say it was the other counselors and camp staff who I was serving right alongside of all week! Mostly college students (18-25 yrs.) who had a passion to serve Christ and to impact the lives of these kids. It was so exciting to talk with them throughout the week and to hear what God is doing in their lives as they seek His best for each of them. Their love for the kids (rooted in their relationship with Christ) was infectious!!

To any of you who are reading this: "Thanks again for a great week! I'm praying for you as you continue serving with these last 2 camps!"

And thank you to all of you out there who prayed for me during camp. It made a big difference! So encouraging to know that you're lifting me before the Lord in prayer! He loves to work in answer to prayer as we look to Him and trust Him. :)
Some highlights from the week included:
-Talking with the kids about "Jesus stuff" outside of chapel.
-Crazy games of course! (counselor "bat relay")
-Monster Zipline (Superman-style...sorry the video didn't turn out)
-A soaking rivalry between two very persistent counselors. (& throwing my "only dry shoes" in the river on my birthday...haha ;)-
-"Find the Animals"
-Great Food!!! (thanks Mama T)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: